Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A variety pack

I am currently enjoying a twelve-pack from Red Hook out of Portsmouth, NH.

I'm going to start with something they call Slim Chance. It's their light beer, as noted by the 125 calories on the label. Of course, that's more than a bottle each of MGD64 and the Bud Select 55. Well, I've had the MGD64, and I'll take the extra calories any day.

Slim Chance is what I'd call a well balanced flavor profile. In other words, not too malty, not too hoppy. And when you drink it, you notice the malt first and the hops at the end of the sip. It's a little thin, but yeah, it's a light beer. It's probably easier to make a light beer on the malty side, if only because you can roast the malt and stretch the flavor. Use a strong amount of malt, and you can dilute it a bit more with water, end up with reasonably fewer calories, but still taste the beer well.

So anyways, it's well balanced, but not exactly KILLER....My grade for Slim Chance: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment