Thursday, June 3, 2010

And away we go...

The first beer on this blog is Dogfish Head's FORT.

It's an "ale brewed with pureed raspberries".

What the label didn't say is that it's like 18% alcohol. So pouring it into a mug wasn't the smartest move. I suppose the $15.99 price tag for a pint bottle should have given me some clue. Actually, I did kind of expect higher than usual ABV, but Beer Advocate mentioned the 18%.

So anyway, yeah, you brew it with that much potency, it's not going to taste like regular ol' beer. I definitely detect the raspberry flavor, but there's a lot of earthiness underneath that. The color is kinda like the old Indian Red Crayola color. And there's a good dose of sediment at the bottom.

The label mentions it was "made to age with the best of them." And as I notice now, it was bottled in November of 2006. It's pretty thick, too. So we've got the combination of the raspberries, the thickness, and the high alcohol.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a "dessert beer". You definitely want to sip it rather than chug. There's no bitterness, but the alcohol sort of takes over that role.

So let's see....

I give it a C+. I won't be buying it again, but it was worth taking a flyer.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment