Saturday, June 19, 2010

Beers in Chicago

Okay, I was just in Chicago for a couple of days, one of which involved beer drinking. Here's a recap.

Fat Tire Ale: I've actually tried cloning this beer as a homebrew, based on a kit pre-measured by Maltose Express in Monroe, CT. It worked well as a homebrew, but this was the first time I'd ever actually had a chance to try the original. It's quite good. Nice deep amber color, and swings very much on the malt side, rather than the hops side. Probably more than I'd like, but that's not a reason not to respect it! Grade: B

Goose Island 312: The waitress said this was a wheat beer, but it at least seemed filtered. (I worried about the gasiferous effects of unfiltered beers.) Crisp, but otherwise forgettable, really. Grade: C

The Poet: This was an oatmeal stout from Michigan. And after drinking lighter-colored beers, I was like, oh geez, I didn't notice the style when I ordered it. You know, stout....dark, almost syrupy in your mouth. You can actually taste the brownness, and this was definitely brown. Had a strange fruity essence amid the darkness, though. Grade: C+

My friend Mega had an IPA I believe. He poured me a little from his, and that was far superior to the stout. If I can find out who made it again, I'll have to try it another time. Possible A- potential, which would be the highest grade I've given anything so far....

No comments:

Post a Comment