Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Updating Red Hook

Okay, two more types of beer in that 12-pack.

First, we've got the Copper Ale. Blah. I've had another copper ale from Otter Creek in Vermont which is way better.

I understand the copper -- the beer is penny-colored. (Or "coloured" for any English/Canadian folks out there)
But it's not great at all. It's got a fake sweetness taste to it.

My grade: C-

Now the last of the 12-pack is a beer that I've gotten six-packs of by itself -- Long Hammer. This is the best Red Hook I've had. An IPA that is not too hoppy....It obviously isn't a beer you can chug five of in a row, being thicker and perhaps I'd say creamier than usual beer. But you want to. Yes it leans heavy on hops -- that's what IPAs do. But this is probably an instance of a "well-balanced" IPA -- I've had beers where the hops are just gross (Hop Monster, I'm talking to you!), and so it's good to have a beer that means to be hop-heavy, but doesn't piss you off about it.

My grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment