Thursday, July 8, 2010

Saranac Variety Pack

Okay, it's a six pack with one beer each of six different styles. The problem, therefore, is I get one chance to analyze. On the other hand, I've had Saranac before, mostly a few years ago when I hung out with someone from upstate New York, kinda near Saranac's brewery.

Tonight's installment is the Adirondack Lager. It's got a somewhat typical Lager fizz -- almost like a ton of very little tiny bubbles, instead of what I'd call bigger bubbles in other beers. Tough to describe, but the bubbles in a lager often will envelop the tongue like a million little pinpricks.

The flavor's nothing special. Saranac, to an extent, is like a few microbreweries I know in that every beer sort of has the same underlying taste profile -- one of those things where you can say it TASTES like Saranac made it. Long Trail and Harpoon also have that quality to them, I'd say, to a degree. No matter which beer of theirs you have, you've kinda tasted it before....this one's slightly roasty, with more bitterness underneath it.

My grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment